Monday, August 6, 2012

Road Signs: Colors


Do you remember when you took the test for your driver’s permit? I recall that I needed to memorize what the shapes and colors of road signs meant. I only took my test six years ago but embarrassingly, when I drove home on the interstate, I had no idea what type of information was on the sign unless I read it. 

One of the primary reasons that road signs come in different colors is so when you are too far from them you will know whether or not you need to pay attention to what they say. Sometimes motorists don’t regard all road signs but if you are aware that certain colors are particularly important you may be more likely to read it so I thought I’d do a quick post to reeducate myself and others.

What the sign colors mean…

Green: Guide and directional information
          -These signs will tell you how far you are from an upcoming place
Red:   Stop, yield, do not enter, and wrong way
          -Look out for red signs, they are there for your protection
Blue:  Upcoming services for drivers
          -Displays restaurants, gas stations, and hotels
Orange: Warns of construction and road maintenance
          -Alerts you of the presence of road workers and if
           lanes are closed or 
uneven
Yellow: General warning or caution
          -They warn about hazards, identify your route,
           and direct the speed and
 movement of traffic
White: Regulations, ordinances, and enforceable laws
          -This category includes signs that show the speed
           limit and whether 
u-turns and other turns are
           possible
Brown: Indicates recreational or historical points of interest
          -This color is less urgent and more for leisure information



Was this information useful for you?
Would you like to see more posts like it?
Let me know! I’ll be more than happy to oblige.

No comments:

Post a Comment