Saturday, September 1, 2012

Labor Day Weekend


As mentioned two months ago in my 4th of Julypost, the holidays are some of the deadliest days for traffic-related fatalities. According to the Florida Safety Council rates of DUI-related deaths rise dramatically over Labor Day Weekend which is why authorities will step up their DUI enforcement this weekend. 

This morning I happened to catch a commercial I have seen in the past. It was part of the “Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over” campaign and I realized that I see this commercial at very specific times during the year. Well now I know why! 43% of Labor Day deaths involve alcohol compared to the 32% during the rest of the year.  Numbers don’t always make the impact they should so click here for some great infographics!

One campaign slogan I am particularly fond of is “the last day of summer shouldn’t mean the end of your life.” Okay, if you’re a child going back to school sometimes it may feel that way but the point is there is no reason to risk your well-being because you are celebrating.

Here are some tips to enjoy a safe Labor Day weekend:
  • If you choose to drink, never drive. Stay where you are or have a designated driver. You not only put yourself at risk but you are also endangering everyone on the road around you.
  •  Wear your seatbelt. You can’t control what is happening in the vehicles around you but you can make sure you are being cautious in your own.
  •  Be aware of drunk drivers. Learn how to spot a drunk driver on the MADD website.
I hope you have a fun holiday weekend! 



No comments:

Post a Comment