Monday, September 17, 2012

Reducing Your Blind Spot

Some people are graced with height while others, like my mother, are what I like to call “vertically challenged”. At a whopping four feet and ten and a quarter inches (you can’t leave off that quarter inch!) Mommy faces a few daily challenges that don’t always include her inability to reach things on high shelves.


If you wear glasses or contact lenses you may already be aware that the information can be found on your driver’s license. Well my mother’s first license said that she had to sit on a phone book or pillow while driving. Seriously, she could have received an additional fine if she was ever pulled over and not using something to elevate herself!

Okay, okay, I know this post is silly but I have a good point to make, I promise!

I don’t understand the physics behind it but due to her height, or lack thereof, my mother has a larger blind spot when using her side mirrors. To alleviate this issue she has a simple trick, leaning forward.
 
I’m sure everyone has had their fair share of near-misses when trying to change lanes where the honk of a car horn alerts us that there had been a vehicle beside us the whole time. Hey, they don’t call it a blind spot for nothing! Well, once my mother was in the car with me during such an occasion and filled me in on her trick so I gave it a try. Mothers are always right so naturally this time was no different. My visibility increased astronomically as I moved forward slightly and glanced at my side mirror. To this day I do that every time I change lanes and can honestly say those near-misses are nearly gone.

I hope you found this post both educational and entertaining. Stay-tuned for some more personal safety stories! And please feel free to share some of your own tips in the comment section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment