Friday, September 19, 2014

Flu Season is Coming






I remember the feeling vividly. I woke up, couldn't lift my head from the pillow because I was so dizzy; had chills all over my body, yet I was sweating. I had no idea what was happening, but as soon as the nurse saw me, she knew I had the flu. It was one of the most miserable experiences, and kept me from going to school for almost two weeks. When I recovered, I told myself that I am never going through this ever again. Now that I am in college, I have to take extra precaution against contracting the virus because who has time to be bedridden for two weeks, let alone a few days.

 

What is the flu?

The flu is an extremely contagious disease that is caused by the influenza virus. It occurs every year and is constantly changing, which is why it is so important to get the vaccine annually! Everyone is susceptible to catching the virus (this includes college students who think they are invincible!).  Although everyone can catch the virus, symptoms and severity range for different groups, such as babies, pregnant women, and the elderly.




Common Symptoms:

  • headache & fever
  • dizziness
  • body aches
  • fatigue
  • stuffy/runny nose
  • sore throat
  • possible diarrhea and vomiting

 

How to prevent it?

The only way to prevent contracting the virus is by getting vaccinated. A lot of people are confused as to why they have to get the shot annually, but it's because the virus changes year to year. Just because you got the shot last year, doesn't mean that it will protect you against this year's virus. The virus is contracted from being in close contact with infected individuals, or by touching surfaces they either coughed or sneezed on. It's important to carry hand sanitizer wherever you go, and to utilize the sanitary wipes before touching the shopping carts!

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Where can I get the vaccine?

The vaccine is given by shot or nasally. If you are a college student, you can schedule an appointment at your institution's health center. You can also go to your local drugstore without an appointment and receive it, such as Walgreens, Publix, or Walmart. Or schedule an appointment at your doctor's office.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment